Subject: Re: termcap's xterm
To: None <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1997 12:34:47
>From: "J.D.Coleman" <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
>Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:40:13 +0100 (BST)
>
>Paul Kranenburg wrote:
>> I dug a little further: the culprits are the End Underline (`ue=\E[24m') and
>> End Standout (`se=\E[27m'). I don't know where these come from, but they
>> are certainly not defined in the `Xterm Control Sequences' document.

>The old xterm doesn't like n > 7, so you can only turn all attributes off,
>so both "se" and "ue" should be "\E[0m".  Also, termcap only has entries
>for (individual) attribute on and all attributes off.
>
>Presumably, the new xterm has these extra sequences.  (Does it have colour
>too, I wonder.)  The new sequences are a bit nicer, in that if you have
>applied multiple attributes, you can turn them off individually, rather
>than turning them all off and then turning back on the attributes you want
>(which is what the curses library does).  Then again, if you try to get
>underscore and standout sequences to co-exist with character attributes,
>you have to use the original method anyway.

The 'xterm' entry in the standard /usr/share/misc/termcap{,.db}
shipped with NetBSD should use the absolute least-common-denominator
xterm sequences.  We should not assume that anyone telneting into a
NetBSD system with TERM=xterm is using an X11R6 (never mind X11R6.3 or
XFree86 3.3) xterm.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel