Subject: Re: termcap's xterm
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@fls.portland.or.us>
From: J.D.Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1997 15:47:31
Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Olaf Seibert wrote:
> > Would the standard X11R6.3's xterm differ from XFree86's version?
>
> The standard xterm does color, but I haven't checked to see if the control
> sequences are different. At the very least, shouldn't we use a platform
> independent xterm source? I haven't looked into XFree86 because the "86"
> makes it sounds like it's only for Intel devotees.

In this case, I think we just need an 'xterm neutral' termcap entry.  I
think the cause of the problem is that -current termcap.src defines :

xterm|vs100|xterms|xterm terminal emulator (X Window System):\
	:tc=xterm-xf86-v33:

Thus, the default xterm entry points to the XFree86 v3.3 version.  Shouldn't
this entry contain 'tc=xterm-r6' instead?  Admittedly, that would mean that
this will have to be changed each time a new version is checked in.

PS.  I believe there is an XFree68 derivative of XFree86.