Subject: Re: pwdb busy
To: Ted Lemon , Jukka Marin <email@example.com>
From: Missing - presumed fed. <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 06/24/1997 19:12:49
Ted Lemon sez:
* > > perhaps just change chfn to acquire the lock after it knows it has
* > > stuff to change?
* > Sounds pretty good to me, unless there are some complications I can't
* > see right now.
* This doesn't work because somebody could make conflicting changes.
This is why vipw holds the lock and chsh/chfn/passwd don't.
Theorem #1: There are several ways to create a quantum black hole.
- Butter a piece of bread and tie it, buttered side up, to a cat's back.
- Launder any number of matched pairs of socks.
- Divide by zero. Someone will disappear. It might be your lucky day.