Subject: Re: pwdb busy
To: Ted Lemon , Jukka Marin <>
From: Missing - presumed fed. <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/1997 19:12:49
Ted Lemon sez:
 * > > perhaps just change chfn to acquire the lock after it knows it has
 * > > stuff to change?
 * >
 * > Sounds pretty good to me, unless there are some complications I can't
 * > see right now.
 * This doesn't work because somebody could make conflicting changes.

This is why vipw holds the lock and chsh/chfn/passwd don't.

Or shouldn't.

 * 			       _MelloN_

Theorem #1:  There are several ways to create a quantum black hole.
    - Butter a piece of bread and tie it, buttered side up, to a cat's back.
    - Launder any number of matched pairs of socks.
    - Divide by zero.  Someone will disappear.  It might be your lucky day.