Subject: Re: ramdisk kernel?
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/1997 13:35:27

PEM> Chris Jones writes:
>> I've been playing with trying to make a (i386) ramdisk kernel, with
>> no useful results yet.  Here's what I've been doing:

PEM> 1) You didn't mention if you are using MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT at
PEM> all.

I've tried it both with and without this option; same results:
MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS seems to make the machine reboot.

PEM> 2) Does your machine successfully boot one of my install ramdisk
PEM> kernels?

First, I've tried my own kernels on three different machines:  the
other two are a DEC 486 and a DEC pentium, and this one is a
miscellaneous-part pentium.  All behave the same way, as far as I can
tell.

Second, I just tried the kernel from ssto-12C-970314b, and it hangs
after identifying my scsi drive.  It doesn't get as far as wdc0.

PEM> 3) Are you absolutely up-to-date with current?

I was several days ago when I last tried this.  I'll try another
kernel now, based on yesterday evening's sup...

Chris

Chris Jones                                    cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu
           Mad scientist in training...