Subject: Re: termcap's xterm
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@nyc.deshaw.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/1997 20:55:26
In article <9706232014.AA28914@cs.few.eur.nl> pk@cs.few.eur.nl (Paul Kranenburg) writes:
>The recent change in termcap that equates `xterm' to `xterm-xf86-v33'
>does not work very well for me (NetBSD/sparc/X11R6.1). more and less
>at least have trouble with stand-out and underline mode, and don't
>reset the terminal properly upon exit.
>
>I don't feel like figuring out right now what entries in `xterm-xf86-v33'
>might induce this behaviour, but.. isn't there common set of capabilities
>that all xterms can (or should) support and leaving it up to those
>actually running XF86 v3.3 to take advantage of "their" termcap entry
>if desired?

The old entry did not work properly with underline and standout
[underline appeared just as standout]. It also was not resetting all
the modes and did not use the alternate screen. I really don't want
to find the least common denominator that works, because then the
entry will not work correctly for any xterm.

Upgrade or use the xterm-old entry :-) The new xterm is a lot better.

christos