Subject: Re: panic message ?
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 06/22/1997 11:59:37
Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Jason Thorpe writes:
> > This happens when the mode bits on the inode aren't cleared for some reason,
> > indicating that the inode is still allocated.
> >
> > I have heard of this when going from 1.2 -> current from a few people...
> > I'm guessing that this is something that fsck is somehow missing...
>
> When doing upgrades, I do fsck -f -- I've institutionalized this in
> the latest set of i386 upgr scripts, in fact.
>
> Perry

Actually, fsck does find and correct the error every time. It most
often is UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=7840. The question is why is it happening
so often? Stating from a clean, checked disk, suddenly a panic
occurs. It happened again just now while running a script to create a
bunch of directories. Everything is OK as long as disk access is
low. This is via an Adaptec 1542B, on a P133, running a sup from 2
days ago.

Any comments?

 Patrick