Subject: Re: mounting non-BSD partitions.
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/1997 15:30:34
On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Darren Reed wrote:

> Ummm, I think we have three things being handled here then (well, on this
> subject anyway ;)
>
> 1: accessing non-BSD fdisk-partitions.
> 2: allowing 16 partitions inside a BSD fdisk-partition.
> 3: using 32 bits for minor #'s rather than 16 bits.
>
> Doing 3 will help 1 & 2, but doing 2 won't solve 1.

But 2 will help 1. As port i386 only has four "free" partitions (a is
root, b swap, c is whole BSD, and d is whole disk), needing one of these 4
slots to get at a DOS partition is limiting (you can't have /usr, /tmp,
/var, and /home all on seperate partitions w/ a DOS partition around).

Take care,

Bill