Subject: Re: mounting non-BSD partitions.
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/20/1997 21:20:01
On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, der Mouse wrote:

> I've been trying to think of some way to handle things so that the
> number of partitions per pack can change without causing upgrade hell
> for people who have trouble with handling that overlap interval.  I
> haven't come up with a scheme I'm really satisfied with, yet; I'd love
> to discuss this with anyone who has any ideas on the matter.

I can think of a couple of ways to do it; both are nasty.

You could have the kernel go and look up /dev/sd1a and /dev/wd1a
on the root partition and see what the minor numbers are, and
configure itself based on that.

You could have a sysctl variable to set it, and have a user process
look at /dev/sd1a and /dev/wd1a to see what to do.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'