Subject: Re: can't allocate llinfo
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 06/19/1997 13:22:08
Matthias wrote:
>> Jun 19 06:20:58 druid /netbsd: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo (0x0,
>> 0xf879bd00)
>
> I got these messages when we've had a misconfigured
> FDDI bridge in our net.  It was sending (directed) ARP messages
> to machines in other logical subnets.
>
> The kernel doesn't want to put entries for machines not
> in its subnet into the ARP table.

D'arcy didn't say which version of NetBSD*.

I used to get these a lot back when I was running 1.1 on a SPARC**; we have a
lot of dual-homed hosts at work and I use host routes with explicit metric
weighting to make sure the dual-homed hosts connect to the other dual-homed
hosts over the CDDI/FDDI side instead of the Ethernet side.   When my system
would boot and get the host routes - including the routes saying here's how
to get to <address of dual-homed host which was NOT on the SPARC**'s subnet>,
I'd get these "arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo" errors.  Now I'm running
1.2.1 on it and I never see them anymore.

	- Greg

*NetBSD contains software contributed by Christopher G. Demetriou
**SPARC is a trademark of SPARC International
:-)