Subject: Re: README: changes to config, to support dump device configuration
To: None <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/16/1997 15:41:58
> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 21:29:30 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>

> We have to decide how to express "root server" in bootp.
> Simply using the bootp server is bad (at least in my
> environment).

The server IP address is given in this field of a reply:
	struct in_addr bp_siaddr;
Is there any problem with using that?

Also, there is a standard (RFC 1395) "tag" for the "root path"
that I'm using for the NFS mount root.  Any problem there?

> Further I'd like to define a word to use as bootfile argument
> in the bootp request. This makes it easier in more complex
> and/or multi-OS environment to setup the bootp servers.

Most clients I've seen either leave the bp_file string null in
the request, or fill in some constant name.  On netbsd, it may
be possible for the file name given to the boot program to be
copied into the BOOTP request, or if that name is not available,
just fill "netbsd" in there.  Would that be OK?

Gordon