Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: None <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/16/1997 08:42:46
kenn@eden.rutgers.edu writes:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 97 21:42:53 -0600,
> Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca> wrote:
> > mellon@hoffman.vix.com writes:
> > >
> > > A couple of points: by my reading of the license, you only have to do
> > > this if your standard UUCP setup includes Chris's software.  In other
> > > words, right now at least, runs on an Alpha.
> >
> > Have a boo at the copyright in /src/sys/arch/i386/i386/mainbus.c
> > in -current.  And at /src/dev/pci/pci.c and /src/dev/pci/ppb.c.
>
> This gives you a pretty good idea where to start...:
>
> find /usr/src -type f -print | xargs grep -lw cgd

I didn't even get that fancy for a first cut:

 grep "Christopher G. Demetriou for the NetBSD Project" */* */* */*/*

from /usr/src/sys proved sufficient for a start...

> > i386 users must be concerned about this license, as must folks with
> > a PCI bus in their machine... (Which is why I believe this thread is
> > not noise -- when the usage license changes for a piece of software
> > you use every day, you need to be concerend about all the
> > implications)
>
> Excuse me but "the usage license changes"?  I thought it affected only
> the redistributors.

The license says (in part):

 * You may use, copy, modify and redistribute this Software without
 * charge, in either source code form, binary form, or both, on the
 * following conditions:

Note the word "use"...

Jason said:
> No reasonable interpretation of the license would consider a login
> banner advertising or promotional materials.

That says nothing about "informational materials".

> > How about an email to a friend indicating I'm running NetBSD?
>
> I'm starting to wonder whether or not you've bothered to read his
> license at all.

Maybe I'm not the only one who should read it over again (see above).
(no need to get snippy -- this thread already has enough of that :-( )

Like I said before: I'd sure like to think that this new license is better,
but so far I'm not convinced.

Later...

Greg Oster

oster@cs.usask.ca
Department of Computer Science
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA