Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/15/1997 19:57:04
On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Ted Lemon wrote:

> This is certainly the most compelling problem I've heard WRT Chris's
> license.   However, you admit yourself that you're not very worried
> about it.

I've also pointed out that I can afford, with good reason, not to
be too worried about it. Not everyone is in fairly close contact
with Chris and can get these things worked out as easily should
any problems arise, hwoever.

> A couple of points: by my reading of the license, you only have to do
> this if your standard UUCP setup includes Chris's software.  In other
> words, right now at least, runs on an Alpha.

I'm not sure of that. I've heard noises that there may be some MI
PCI code with this licence on it, too. Regardless, as I pointed
out, it would take me hours to determine what is covered by this
licence, and if there are any other licences that also might affect
me in this way.

> Also, since this software is changing hands for free, at best all
> Chris can do to you if you violate his copyright is get a court order
> for you to cease and desist from doing so.  He can't show any monetary
> damages, and to get punitive damages he'd have to show some evidence
> of willfulness on your part.

Well, if he read my last posting, he's got that already. :-)

Regardless, even just going to court would cost both me and him a
bundle.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'