Subject: Re: README: changes to config, to support dump device configuration
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/15/1997 02:33:20
On Sat, 14 Jun 1997, Jason Thorpe wrote:

>  > There's no reason a special-case path for NFS couldn't be used, as
>  > well.  of course, to do it, you'd need polling-mode to be implemented
>  > in the ethernet drivers...
>
> No, I agree... but it's a lot of work to get there...

So do something a bit easier, and bypass the NFS code completely:
dump via tftp. After all, if we're running diskless, that's already
running on a host on the network anyway. It's also a simple enough
protocol that it's not a big deal to put it in the kernel just for
that purpose.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'