Subject: Re: README: changes to config, to support dump device configuration
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/1997 17:25:25
>Cisco routers do dumps with TFTP. I was going to suggest it, also.
>Principal problem is that the dump file name has to exist and be
>world-writable before the dump can occurr. Just a minor administrative
>issue.

I filled out some details in private e-mail to Jason Thorpe.  I
suggested taking the /etc/exports code from mountd and adding it to
tftpd.  if tftp runs non-chroot'ed, then you can get the same
IPaddr-based authentication as you would with a dump via NFS.

If tftp starts chroot'ed, then it'd read /etc/exports relative to its
new root, which could potentially have even tighter permissions than
the normal NFS /etc/exports.

If you don't have a firewall, the cost of those checks (even stat'ing
of exports before each TFTP write) is probably worth it.