Subject: Re: copyright issue
To: None <gibbs@plutotech.com, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/1997 18:09:10
In article <199706141501.JAA11079@pluto.plutotech.com> you write:
> Customer> "Hi, I'd like to order your 'NetBSD Galore' DVD product please."
> Operator> "Oh, you mean the 'NetBSD Galore' product that contains source
> 	   code contributed to NetBSD by Christopher G. Demetriou?"
>
> Or perhaps you might notice that all the messages comming from lists
> served by NetBSD.org have this at the bottom:
>
> 	"NetBSD includes software developed by Christopher G. Demetriou
> 	 for the NetBSD Project."

And don't forget to apply this:

*** /etc/gettytab.orig	Sat Jun 14 17:58:51 1997
--- /etc/gettytab	Sat Jun 14 17:59:25 1997
***************
*** 10,16 ****
  # entries, and in cases where getty is called with no table name
  #
  default:\
! 	:ap:im=\r\n%s/%m (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:sp#1200:

  #
  # Fixed speed entries
--- 10,16 ----
  # entries, and in cases where getty is called with no table name
  #
  default:\
! 	:ap:im=\r\n%s/%m (including software developed by Christopher G. Demetriou for the NetBSD Project) (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:sp#1200:

  #
  # Fixed speed entries

I mean, the login prompt is an advertisement of the OS my system
running, and it's in "any medium", right? This should *not* be moved to
another list; this affects *everyone* using NetBSD.

> The ramifications of this are pretty large.

Exactly.

Lemon, I think, wrote:
> >Man, can you understand the license is for people who _don't ask
> >Chris for anything else_, people who just steal his code w/o mention

Ah. So I can contribute code with license terms that say you must give
me your firstborn, and that's OK as long as a promise that I'll give
waivers to the right people? Why should we trust Chris to give the right
people waivers, when he isn't trusting any of us to give him credit?

And as I said before, what if everyone does this? You expect us to get
waivers from a hundred people?