Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@inode.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/1997 09:34:06
Ted Lemon wrote:
| I don't think that's necessary.   But it is necessary to read and
| understand the copyrights on the source code that you are using, and
| to give credit where it is due.   Ideally, the NetBSD Foundation
| should be able to coordinate this, so that not everybody has to do it
| individually.

I don't think this is feasible.

Assuming that TNF prepares attribution lists to facilitate compliance with
the license, and I use these lists to ship a product, who's liable if there
is an error in the TNF's work?  If I'm liable, then I'll have to go through
the entire source tree anyway.

At best, attribution documentation prepared by TNF is useful only as
a cross-check for my presonally prepared documentation.