Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1997 23:42:11
On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> I also quote the following message from Phil Knaack.  I do not believe
> anything here is quoted out of context.  I think it says, _very
> clearly_ that Chris' copyright hurts the NetBSD project.
>
> It says in almost so many words that, on the issue of Chris' new
> copyright.  Chris is working *against* the NetBSD project and *for*
> his own personal benefit (Phils words, my emphasis).
> Indeed, I cannot see what else it is meant to say.
>
> If that doesn't count as saying Chris is ``trying to work against
> NetBSD'' (my words), then I don't know what does.

I have to disagree with this.  There is a very large difference between
saying that Chris is ``trying to work against NetBSD'' (as _no_one_ here
is suggesting), and saying that Chris's license terms are not in the
best interest of the Project.

As I've already said several times in this thread, we all have the
greatest respect for Chris's many years of contribution to NetBSD, and
would hate to lose him as a developer.

That said, I and several others feel that Chris's new license terms
imposes conditions on distributors which are not in keeping with the
goals of the Project, and that they should have been discussed in this
forum before any decision was made as to accepting them into the tree.

--
				Jim Wise
				jim.wise@turner.com