Subject: Re: ccd performance
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1997 23:02:57
Dave Huang drunkenly mumbled...

> Do you think things would be better if I made the ccd across a 2 gig Atlas
> and a 4 gig Atlas? Both 7200 rpm, same # of cylinders and sectors/track,
> but the 2 gig has 10 heads and the 4 gig has 20.
>
> Or is disk striping pretty much useless unless you have identical drives?

you could use these two disk yes.  to get optimal performance you would have
to sacrifice half of the 4G disk.  make a slice on the 4G that is the same
exact size as the 2G with a single slice on it.  also, have the two drives
match as far as offsets go.  this would get you the same performance as having
two 2G disks.  it would work, it would be fast, however you lose the use of
2G of space unless you make a 2G filesystem on it and only use it for light
loads (storing of stuff, don't read or write to it often, or choose times
when the striped disk isn't being used heavily)

just my $.02

-brian

--
** Brian Hechinger ** wonko@mail.arkham.net ** http://www.arkham.net **