Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1997 19:25:10
On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> me and also acceptable to 'core'."  I considered punting my developer
> account, I considered punting responsibility for the various things
> which I currently take care of (mostly the Alpha port).  However, I
> figured that that would be a bad thing for the users of the Alpha port
> (and, indeed, people whose systems work because of code i've committed
> with the new copyright would probably agree with me 8-).

And indeed, we are all glad to have your (extensive) contributions to
the project continue.  I think it is clear that that is not at question
here.

> If NetBSD has a problem with my license, _IT_ doesn't have to use my
> code.  That's why I specifically asked 'core' before changing my
> license, and indeed worked with core (and a lawyer, again paid for
> with some of my nasty money) to formulate a license that was
> acceptable to both them and myself.  (If you think my license is
> requires too much now, well, it could have been much, much worse --
> and was until core and I came to an agreement about what was
> reasonable.  8-) I can only assume that they thought about the
> question of "which hurts more," and came to a decision.

It may be that your license is a valid direction for NetBSD.  It may be
that it is no. I for one am not convinced that it is. More
importantly, however, I think you are hearing that a lot of people have
questions of the propriety of this license `just appearing' in the tree
with no opportunity for public discussion of its validity, and with no
clarification of its effect.  (Do I have to remove the `Powered by
NetBSD' gifs from my the several internal web-boxes here which are
because the banner doesn't read `Powered by NetBSD with code from Chris
Demetriou'?)

> This discussion doesn't belong on this list, and isn't really
> appropriate anyway.  It is not your place to tell me how "horrible" I
> am for using a certain license, or to attempt to pressure me into
> changing my license.  I've no objection to people pointing out my
> license, because it's well-known and public information, and I'm quite
> comfortable with it.  However, I will not be villified for using it.

I think the discussion is _certainly_ appropriate in a forum for those
who will be most directly affected by the license.  I agree 100% that it
is no one's place to tell you what license to put on your code.  I feel
it is valid, and even necessary, for this group to discuss whether code
with the new license is acceptable for integration into the NetBSD tree.

--
				Jim Wise
				jim.wise@turner.com