Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: Scott Ellis <scotte@netbsd.warped.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1997 16:31:00
> So, a company can either list 100 contributors in their ad, or contact
> every member of core, port maintainers, 'important people', etc
> and hope that they catch them on a good day, and get exempted from
> the license?  Give me a break.

Publishing companies do this whenever they publish anything that
contains the works of others.  There's nothing unusual or difficult
about this.  It is a well-understood process.  A publishing company
executive would *expect* to have to exercise due diligence in getting
permission to use the software regardless of what licensing terms
appeared under the copyright notice.

In the computer industry, we generally exercise a great deal less
diligence, because the copyright terms and attributions on the
licenses are much clearer, but to suggest that this sort of thing is
unheard of or unreasonable is somewhat laughable.

			       _MelloN_