Subject: Re: ccd performance
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1997 18:54:44
Dave Huang drunkenly mumbled...

> I recently made my /usr a ccd (just for fun and 'cuz I think disk striping
> is nifty :) and was wondering how to determine the best interleave
> setting. Is the size of a track still a good guideline to use? My disks
> aren't identical--they're not even the same speed, which is probably
> especially evil.
>
> One's a 5400rpm Quantum Capella and the other's a 7200rp Quantum Atlas.
> Both are use ZBR (or whatever that thing's called where outer tracks have
> more sectors than the inner ones), but according to the messages when the
> drives are probed, one's got 126 sectors/track and the other's got 115.

i really don't think this is such a good idea.  these two drives are going
to be constantly fighting each other simply because one can read/write much
faster than the other.  you will only be hurting yourself here.

i don't know ccd, but i do know RAID and the concept of ccd, and what you
are doing is not going to get you very good performance.

-brian

--
** Brian Hechinger ** wonko@mail.arkham.net ** http://www.arkham.net **
--