Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@idea.exnet.iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1997 15:16:33
Jason Thorpe writes:

>On Fri, 13 Jun 1997 14:30:20 -0500
> "Phil Knaack" <flipk@idea.exnet.iastate.edu> wrote:

> > >Well, under those circumstances, you can't expect things to
> > >operate much differently than they have.

> > 	Sure you can.  Things change over time.  But if you simply
> > ASSUME they aren't changing and proceed with your attitude, they never
> > will.

>...and sometimes people have to prove themselves, because of past behavior,
>or because of the company they keep.  Speaking for myself, people have to
>_earn_ my trust... It doesn't come for free.

> > 	NO MATTER what the surrounding circumstances, it NEVER helps to
> > have this kind of attitude.

>Sure it does... it's called "protecting yourself".  And, as unfortunate
>as it might be, it's necessary thing in this wonderful golden age we
>live in.

	You have done a wonderful job of mixing terms.

	I wasn't talking about _trust_, and I never said you shouldn't
"protect yourself."  However, the attitude I'm describing has very little
to do with either of those ideas.

	Always remain optimistic.  Always hope that someday it will be
different.  And NEVER
			NEVER
				NEVER make it worse.  Just assuming that
things will always be the same and that you will always get the shaft,
and then SAYING so in public, pointing the finger at the other guy and
saying "he will again, you can't trust him!" is NEVER the way to go.

	Maybe I've been guilty of this in the past, too.  I apologize for
this. But I don't make that mistake anymore.

	That was something that we were supposed to learn on the playground
long ago.

	Let me reiterate at this point that I think Chris is a good
contributer to the NetBSD project, and I will never make personal insults
against him or anyone else .. but I do disagree with this license, and
I am most certainly not the only one.

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack
Systems Administrator, Information Development for Extension Audiences (IDEA)