Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1997 13:03:10
> > I intend to donate a large fraction of the software in NetBSD holding
> > my copyright to The NetBSD Foundation, as soon as it actively starts
> > crediting people who donate software to the project.
>
> Well, there's the solution then. Instead of complaining on the
> list, anyone who wants to see Chris' licence disappear can just
> get the crediting straightened out and take care of some assignment
> paperwork, and the problem is solved. An added bonus would be that
> the person who did this would probably have the eternal gratitude
> of Jason and J.T. and whomever else is currently dealing with this
> administriva.

I said "a large fraction," which is by no means all.

There is a lot of code in the tree with my copyright, which falls into
three categories (which I noted before):

	(1) Code with Berkeley-style license terms naming me
	    specifically,

	(2) Code with my new license terms, and

	(3) Code with other license terms (typically, code that
	    is copyrighted and licensed by somebody else, that
	    i've made significant additions/modifications but
	    on which i've not placed my own personal copyright
	    notice).

Once the contributor list issue is settled, i plan to donate all of
the code in NetBSD that falls under (1) and (3).  That's a lot of
code, but it's not the stuff i'm currently working on (which is
generally covered by (2)) or interested in (since I work on what i'm
interested in 8-).  _That_ I do not plan to donate.

chris