Subject: Re: READ ME: new swap code, and configuration.
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Not for internal consumption <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/1997 21:14:56
Paul Kranenburg sez:
/*
 * > Great! Is there (or will there be) also an "swapoff" command, for
 * > flushing and then removing swap-devices?
 *
 * Not yet. The (syscall) interface is in place, but it turns out that
 * the implementation has a few hard parts to crack, given the current
 * interaction between the swap pager (which hasn't changed much) and
 * vm_swap.c (the swap device manager).
 *
 * two possible approaches are:
 *
 * 	- make vm_swap.c and swap_pager.c co-operate to identify all
 * 	  blocks allocated on a swap device that is to be removed.
 *
 * 	- have vm_swap.c set up a placeholder map that is able to
 * 	  redirect swap I/O requests to the remaining swap devices.
 *
 * -pk
 */

D.  Both of the above

At least, that's what it looks like to me...

				--*greywolf;
--
Theorem #1:  There are several ways to create a quantum black hole.
    - Butter a piece of bread and tie it, buttered side up, to a cat's back.