Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/1997 15:20:06
> As noted above, I do intend to enforce the new license.  As noted in
> the license terms, people who have a desire to distribute the
> software under different terms (e.g. CD-ROM distributors or third
> parties who want to distributed my code as part of their product)
> and who have historically respected the spirit of the copyright I've
> distributed software with can ask me for an exemption or special
> distribution terms.

This is the part that really bothers me.  You've put a fairly onerous
restriction on distributors of your code, that they include a list of
files you wrote in lots of different places, and this is supposed to
be okay because you'll grant a release to pretty much everyone who
hasn't irritated you.  That really smacks of proprietary software
("you can distribute this code without jumping through lots of hoops
if I say you can"), and I'm rather disappointed that core was willing
to accept code with your new license on it.

Oh well.  You win some, you lose some.