Subject: Re: ext2fs-filesystem
To: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/1997 12:04:20
> If it is MI, then I'd like to repeat an earlier proposal:
> Most of the ports have a std-config file, which is included in the other
> config-files. Can we extend this scheme so that we have a std-file for
> all architectures, which includes all options (commented out or not)
> that are applicable to all ports? Thus a specific port file would look
> like this (don't know the exact config syntax of hand, but you'll get
> the idea):

This makes no sense.

the std.* files are intended to be things which are _always_ needed by
a particular port.  i.e. they should _not_ be modified by
non-developers (i.e. "users configuring custom kernels") for any
reason.

It's a very bad idea to put real options into them.

If you're looking to see what options, etc., are supported on a given
port, each port has a kernel config file (typically GENERIC, or
something else, e.g. on the alpha, ALPHA), which lists supported
options.

If users want to add their favorite options to MI files which are
included on all architectures they build, they can.  However, it
doesn't make sense for NetBSD to be doing that.

BTW, as far I know, ext2fs at least compiles on the alpha.  (I tried
compiling an earlier version of the code, and it worked.)  However, I
don't know if it actually works properly.

cgd