Subject: Re: ext2fs is in the tree
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/1997 07:03:37
(First, congrats to everyone involved in getting ext2fs support in!)

> DEC UNIX's advfs also claims to never need an fsck, so they don't
> ship one.

> This made me very unhappy when an important filesystem was corrupted.

Heh.  It would be reasonable for them to skip fsck if, *if*, they could
guarantee that (a) their code will never result in a corrupted
filesystem (theoretically possible but unlikely from DEC) and that (b)
no other mechanism can ever possibly corrupt a filesystem.

(b) is the real catch, of course.

I also really really dislike running a filesystem whose on-disk layout
is undocumented.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca