Subject: Re: ext2fs is in the tree
To: Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se>
From: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/1997 10:29:01
On Jun 11, Peter Svensson wrote
> After reading the text it appears linux writes all data synchronously, and
> not just the metadata with the sync option.

It is also selectable per file, with a flag set by chflags (or the linux
equivalent, I didn't find it). However, with a flag, the metadata
are not written syncronously.
Also, it seems to me that linux, even with the sync option doesn't write
data and metadata in the rigth order: I've had some problems
with linux (and all partitions mounted sync) after a hard reset or power
failure, I've never seen on SunOS or NetBSD (and with NetBSD boxes used
by students, hard resets are frequents).

> There are actually three
> distinct modes, which I for one would like toselect at mount time:
> compleatly asyncronous mode, sync metadata and sync everything.

That would be sometime usefull, I agree.

--
Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.                 bouyer@masi.ibp.fr