Subject: Re: Flakiness in build
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/1997 18:28:46
On 9 Jun 1997, Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:

> rickb@iaw.on.ca (Rick Byers) writes:
> > I've been noticing some "flakiness" when building recently.  For example,
> > I occasionally get "cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal
> > signal 10", and signal 11 (bus error and segmentation fault).
>
> Did you by any change just add some DRAM, or started running your cpu
> above rated speed?

No actually, I haven't changed a thing - but it has gotten a lot hotter in
the house.  The only unusual thing I did was leave my computer on for
several days.  I'm even running my cpu BELOW rated speed (120 running at
100) because it's flaky at 120.  I think I may have a motherboard problem
(I think it's a cheepo - no name that I can find).  I'll try swapping ram
and see what happens.  I might even try swapping processors (maybe I can
snag a 166 for a while <g>).

> A friend that bought some cut-rate DRAMs saw exactly this sort of
> behavior.  Things would mostly be ok, but compiles would fail with
> intermittent off-the-wall gripes.  Replacing the newly acquired junk
> DRAM with good Micron DRAM cured the problem.

Ok.  Sounds like it's definantly a hardware problem then.  Thanks!
	Rick

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/