Subject: Re: Flakiness in build
To: Martin Cernohorsky <>
From: Rick Byers <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/1997 18:23:49
On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Martin Cernohorsky wrote:

> > A friend that bought some cut-rate DRAMs saw exactly this sort of
> > behavior.  Things would mostly be ok, but compiles would fail with
> > intermittent off-the-wall gripes.  Replacing the newly acquired junk
> > DRAM with good Micron DRAM cured the problem.
> Hmm, is there any possibility to verify the function of the upper part
> of the RAM simpler way than physically removing the DRAM in question
> (i. e. something like configuring the size of the RAM during boot
> time)?

Hmm... It's too bad it's not more common.  It's hard to verify when it's
working and when it's not.  I started a little test program that just
allocates 40Mb, fills it with a known sequence, and then checks it.  So
far, it hasn't failed.  It's not perfect, but if it does fail, I'll know
it's not a bug in make or anything (I think I allready know that).  Oh, I
should mention, Linux gave a similar compiling error last night as well
(gcc gave a syntax error, but starting make again worked fine).  Now I
just have to find where the memory is with the problem.  I wonder if there
is any way to make a certain area of memory not-usable (if it is just a
certain part) - I guess you could just allocate it from the kernel at
bootup, but you'd have to stop it from being paged.

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400