Subject: Re: File names and security...
To: Peter Seebach <>
From: James Graham - Systems Mangler <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1997 19:04:28
Yes, but Macs don't allow ':' in filenames; it apparently uses them as
pathname separators.  Perhaps UNIX mounting a MAC filesystem should simply
translate ':' to '/' and vice versa...

In fact, if we wanted to be really homogeneous about it, we'd just have
the filesystem code replace the path separator accordingly in a swap
kind of arrangement.

Peter Seebach sez:
 * >Certainly.  I'm sure I'm not the only one here in a heterogeneous
 * >environmont, stuck mounting file systems between NetBSD and other
 * >systems.  The great advantage of NFS is transparency between different
 * >systems' views of the same file system.  (In an environment where PC and
 * >Mac clients are sharing drives with Unix clients, strange characters in
 * >file names occur more often than you might think...)
 * Yes, and Macs allow '/' in filenames too.  Not so transparent as all that.
 * The main character I actually care about is '\n', because it actually breaks
 * naive scripts.  While there are workarounds, they're either inefficient
 * or non-portable.
 * The others are merely nuisances.
 * -s

Have A Nice Day.  (Offer void where taxed or prohibited.)