Subject: Flakiness in build
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1997 19:20:51
Hi Everyone,
I've been noticing some "flakiness" when building recently.  For example,
I occasionally get "cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal
signal 10", and signal 11 (bus error and segmentation fault).  Make also
gives strange errors, like it can't find "Oakefile.inc", but when I check
the Makefile and veryify that it has "Makefile.inc", and run make again,
it works fine.  This is building the June 8 sources with May 23 binaries.
I also got "/usr/share/mk/bsd.files.mk, line 2: need an operator" a few
times during build.

Oh, I also had a lot of sources in /usr/src/games that had ^@'s all
through them.  I assumed that was just some problem during transfer, and
after I re-downloaded them I havn't seen that since.

Has anyone else seen this?  I'm a little concerned it may be my kernel.
I've got ext2fs and atapi support compiled in, and I had to do a bit of
modification to get ext2fs to work with the latest sources, and to get
atapi to work with the new DMA changes.  If no-one else has seen any of
this, then I'll assume it's either something I did, or my hardware.  I
will probably try reverting to a standard -current kernel to see if it
still happens.  It's pretty rare though.  I havn't been able to finish a
build yet (sometimes it gets by the make includes, sometimes it doesn't),
but it goes for quite a while without any problems...

Thanks,
	Rick

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/