Subject: Re: README: New bus dma framework committed to NetBSD-current
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 06/08/1997 11:50:23
On Sat, 7 Jun 1997 09:16:01 +0200 (MET DST)
 Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de> wrote:

 >  I would not only like to appreciate the tremendious work, but send
 > congratulations to you and the test-team.

Thanks very much!

 >  Of course there is a question which immediately arises when speaking of
 > new bus-systems: How does it affiliate the other ports (which for instance
 > do not rely on ISA for example) and what about integration of new
 > technologies such as high speed bus systems like AGP?

The bus.h interface is, technically, bus- and machine-independent.  It
can, and will, scale to support any bus type.  ISA DMA is only one very
small use of bus dma.  Also, take a look at the vast difference between
how ISA DMA is implemented on the i386 vs. how it is implemented on the
alpha!  I'm sure it will be clear why it took so long to get the design
and implementation right :-)