Subject: Re: change of behaviour in new dhcpd
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/1997 20:46:39
On Sat, 7 Jun 1997, Ted Lemon wrote:

..
.. > I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a feature :-) But I've been running
.. > with a small home-network with no /etc/resolv.conf on my dhcpd server.
..
.. Wow.   I didn't know anybody still did that.   :')
I have an isolated LAN with 3, sometimes 4 machines and no DNS. I don't
remember whether I didn't create /etc/resolv.conf or I deleted it
at some point in time...
..
.. The resolv.conf stuff is there to enable future support of Dynamic
.. DNS.  I don't think it will kill anything if you just cut out the call
.. that reads /etc/resolv.conf.

No, I'm not going to do this -- maybe I'll decide that it is time to
create an /etc/resolv.conf :-)

It seems that dhcp will be happy to start with an empty /etc/resolv.conf,
maybe you should treat an absent /etc/resolv.conf like an empty one ?

- Erik