Subject: Re: i386 users: readme about boot blocks
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Patrick Welche <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/1997 11:01:14
Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> The i386 port has now switched to using the "new" boot blocks, which
> are a two-stage bootblock + /boot combo that uses "installboot" to
> install rather than disklabel.
> Just a warning...

Thanks for the clarification. I note that in
src/distrib/i386/floppies/kc-common/, disklabel is still
used. Now for a weird observation: when sticking the inst12E.fs floppy
in at the "Insert filesystem" prompt when booting from a 12E kernel
copy floppy, I kept getting "Unable to mount root" errors. Having
rebuilt a kernel with #define DEBUG 1 as the first line of
src/sys/kern/vfs_subr.c cured it. 1) I don't understand why, 2) I
didn't undefine it at the end, so it may have had an effect