Subject: Re: An idea to simplify future updates of (some) /etc files for new releases
To: None <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/1997 18:46:24
>Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 21:33:28 +0200 (MET DST)
>From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>

>The problem is that when you update rc and/or netstart, you must often
>also update rc.conf because it needs to set some variables needed
>by rc/netstart. This may be slightly annoying if you have made changes
>to rc.conf, but don't remember exactly which changes.

"diff -u /etc/rc.conf /usr/src/etc/rc.conf" usually works for me.

If you think you might have a problem distinguishing your edits from
changes made to the original file, stash an unmodified copy of
/etc/rc.conf somewhere (e.g. /etc/rc.conf.orig) before you edit it.

>Here is my idea whenever rc.conf is being sourced, another file (e.g.
>rc.conf.site) shall be sourced if it exists.
[snip]
>This will allow me to keep rc.conf unmodified, and therefore I can
>update it whenever the distributed version changes without wiping
>out my own changes.
>
>I can see one down-side of this proposal: It adds yet another optional
>file, where you can set options that can also be set elsewhere...

I don't think this is really necessary.  The only reason /etc/rc.conf
was added is because it allows most users to use an unmodified
/etc/rc and /etc/netstart.  I don't think adding yet another layer of
indirection really gains us much.

Note that this is the opinion of someone who has only one box to play
with; the mileage of those with a dozen machines to update may
differ.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel