Subject: Re: Style guide
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/1997 16:58:20
I was using C for a bit before ANSI was widely used, and certainly,
all of my old code was old-style.

I hated prototypes for about two days, because I couldn't say
	int x, y
in a prototype.  Apart from that, I've tended to prefer the ANSI
conventions to the K&R.  Lint may be better than prototypes at
catching some conflicts, but I haven't had a typing conflict
since 1990 which wasn't caught by a typical ANSI compiler
with warnings enabled.

I would be happy if I could use plain-ANSI when submitting
fixes or utilities; otherwise, I have to change my code, and
run the risk of introducing some strange bug, and, worse,
perhaps a bug which will only show up if you compile in K&R mode,
but which I will never see.  (unproto is smarter than the _P()
convention about this.)

-s