Subject: Re: 'Couldn't spawn child process'
To: None <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/1997 15:51:39
> I've got a question though.  RLIMIT_NPROC is defined as "The
> maximum number of simultaneous processes for this user id".
> Would that not cause problems with other things then?  If I set
> httpd to be running with unlimited, and say it does use more
> than 80 - other things that use the nobody account will fail -
> correct?

I think so.

> Should I just make an http user?

That would be one solution, but only if you have other tasks
sharing a user ID currently.  If you have a machine where a
single user ID wants to run many processes (more than 80), you
could take a look at the problem report kern/3702 by Yours Truly,
which suggests a tweak which makes it possible to increase this
limit at kernel configure time.

- H=E5vard