Subject: Re: 'Couldn't spawn child process'
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/1997 09:30:17
On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Rick Byers writes:
> > What other hard limits should I look at?  I've also
> > been seeing 'can't fork' on our news server, but I assumed that was lack
> > of memory.  I've never seen theese messages before - actualy, I only
> > started having problem after upgrading from 1.2 to 1.2.1.
>
> This seems very weird -- 1.2.1 didn't change enough to cause such
> things to happen. It was just a bunch of small bug patches.

Thanks Perry, I'm glad to here that.  I expect it's just a co-incidence of
increased load on our server, at the same time I upgraded.  I'm going to
try unlimiting the maxprocesses (since they get changed to nobody).  I
don't think 80 servers were running, but maybe they were.  If it's hitting
that limit, I guess that would explain it.

I've got a question though.  RLIMIT_NPROC is defined as "The maximum
number of simultaneous processes for this user id".  Would that not cause
problems with other things then?  If I set httpd to be running with
unlimited, and say it does use more than 80 - other things that use the
nobody account will fail - correct?  Should I just make an http user?

Thanks,
	Rick

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/