Subject: Release or not to release
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/1997 07:26:59
On Tue, Jun 03, 1997 at 12:33:30PM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> I *like* the idea of a -stable release.  Maybe we could make it work
> by always having a `release cycle' in progress; -stable is then just
> the frozen, release-bound code.  Users can choose whether they want
> -stable or -current.

Hey, that would be nice.

> I think reducing the time lag between new functionality in -current
> and ``stable'' releases (from the current major-release rate, down to
> six months) would be useful for everyone, both users *and* developers.

Yup.. at least I would like this a lot.  There are lots of things in
-current that I wanted to have months ago - and I still don't know if
I'll have them this year, even. :-I  There are at least 5 machines
which would greatly benefit from the com driver improvements and a few
which would use IP filter and TCP wrappers if that was possible with
standard NetBSD binaries.  Not to mention the improved swap stuff, bug
fixes etc..

Please, call it whatever you want, but make a release soon :-)

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 22:30 EET DST Mon-Fri

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---