Subject: Re: make kernel question
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 06/03/1997 19:54:23
On Tue, Jun 03, 1997 at 12:41:20PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Unfortunately, you CAN'T just upgrade your kernel.
>
> Lots of stuff -- config, make, etc. -- change with time, and are not
> compatible between -current and 1.2.1.
>
> Furthermore, even if you could get a -current kernel, you would have
> trouble with your 1.2.1 utilities being incompatible with it in a
> dozen ways.

Too bad.  I wish there were at least two NetBSD releases a year.
I would like to upgrade several machines to -current to get the
latest com drivers, Ethernet drivers, IP filter stuff etc. etc. but
I can't risk these machines becoming unstable - so I have to stick
with 1.2.whatever until 1.3 finally comes out (whenever that may be).
I now have one machine to install -current on, but haven't had the
time yet - and even if it runs well on a single-user machine with
no PCI cards, it may not run well at all on a system used by 100
people. :-(

I understand that putting out releases means lots of work, but I
don't think the current system is very good either.  I understand
that it doesn't really matter to those running -current on their
machines, but there are people who want to use NetBSD for critical
things and who can't just play with -current in hopes to find a version
which compiles and maybe even works. ;) :(

Please, think about releasing 1.3 soon... Please... ;)

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 22:30 EET DST Mon-Fri

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---