Subject: Re: ipf
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 06/02/1997 12:16:59
Scott Reynolds wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, Patrick Welche wrote:
>
> > I did a sup -o today, and rebuilt everything, but I still get

> Provided you have both a new userland and a new kernel, you'll also need

which I do:

base# ls -l `which ipf`
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  122880 Jun  1 21:02 /sbin/ipf
base# ls -l `which ipmon`
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  16384 Jun  1 21:02 /usr/sbin/ipmon
base# ls -l /netbsd
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  943808 Jun  1 22:53 /netbsd

> to create /dev/ipnat and /dev/ipstate, as well.  They have the same major
> as /dev/ipl, and use minors 1 and 2, respectively.

which I also apparently do:

base# ls -l ip*
crw-------  1 root  wheel   29,   0 May 14 16:45 ipl
crw-------  1 root  wheel   29,   1 May 14 16:45 ipnat
crw-------  1 root  wheel   29,   2 May 14 16:45 ipstate

and yet,

base# ipf -E
open device: Operation not supported by device
SIOCFRENB: Bad file descriptor
base# ipmon
/dev/ipl: open: Operation not supported by device

My problem, is that I don't understand the problem! How can a device
not be openable etc? Just in case I have done something stupid in my
kernel config, here are the options I think have something to do with
ipf:

#options        LKM             # loadable kernel modules
options         PFIL_HOOKS      # pfil(9) packet filter hooks
pseudo-device   bpfilter 8              # packet filter
pseudo-device   ipfilter                # ip filter

I would be grateful for more of your suggestions - after all it
presumably "works for you" => it must be my setup, but I don't know
where to look!

Cheers,

 Patrick