Subject: Re: Okay, what's out of sync now?
To: None <seebs@solon.com>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/1997 19:55:18
>From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
>
>I've just discovered that lo0 isn't getting configured on my
>very -current system.  Symptom:  telnet localhost connects me
>to another nearby machine.  (!!!!!)
>
>I can ifconfig lo0 127.0.0.1 and all becomes normal.

I am not experiencing this on very current i386 or pmax systems.

Only thing I can think of is...make sure your /etc is reasonably
current (some networking changes in /etc went through about a month
ago, and /etc is never automatically upgraded) and make sure your
/etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf are sane.

Make sure /etc/netstart has these lines:

# set the address for the loopback interface
ifconfig lo0 inet localhost

# use loopback, not the wire
route add $hostname localhost

Also make sure netstart isn't crashing out early on and preventing
that part of the script from executing.

Cheers,
entropy