Subject: Re: Style guide
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1997 18:47:25
Scott Reynolds writes:
> On Tue, 27 May 1997, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> > I have seen the "bootstraps are harder" argument before, and I'm not
> > sure I buy it.
> >
> > 1) If you are trying to port NetBSD to a platform there must
> > be some version of GCC that works on it.
>
> Why `must' there be?

I don't think our source tree will actually build with anything else
any longer. I also think its spectacularly unlikely that we'll find
another redistributable compiler -- remember, this is NetBSD, you need
a redistributable compiler -- and finding an architecture on which the
only redistributable compiler is non-ANSI is likely to be
spectacularly unlikely.

> > 2) There is always unproto available if need be for bootstrap.
>
> Running unproto is harder than doing nothing at all.

Running unproto would be a rare thing.

Perry