Subject: Re: Style guide
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1997 11:06:05
On Wed, 28 May 1997, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> I had to deal with this a few years back when I had to support a Minix
> system.  What I did was add some rules to Gnu Make (an include Makefile
> would have been just as good) which took my ANSI code that I wrote
> and tested with gcc, and created .m files which were files with K&R
> C code suitable for compiling on Minix.  Thus I was able to develop
> and, compile and test on my gcc system in the environment I was used
> to and just spit out the files needed by the Minix compiler when I
> was done.  Deansification does not have to be a major operation.

Since we have fairly powerful make files, why not just teach the main
distribution how to de-ansify itself, similar to what was described above?
So you can go to the top level of the source and say something like
make --DESTDIR=/where/ever krsource (I've forgotten the exact destdir
semantics), and then you automagically get k&r source.

Take care,

Bill