Subject: Re: Style guide
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1997 18:30:42
John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca> writes:

> Just because it is old does not mean it is poorly written, similarly
> just because something is new, does not mean it is well written
> (garbage can written in any language using any programming
> methodolgy).

That's not what I said. There is a whole class of bugs that just don't
happen when you use prototypes.

> Besides, lint does a better job of finding problems then any
> compiler I've ever seen (including gcc).

And you never find code like this?

#ifdef lint
  i = i;
#endif

or

#ifndef lint
 a lot of code that breaks with lint
#endif

I agree that rewriting all present code isn't something that is going
to happen. But saying that because there someday just might be a
system that doesn't have an ansi compiler, all new code should be
written in an almost 30 year old language, is crap to me. YMMV.

/Johan