Subject: Re: Style guide
To: None <darcy@druid.net>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1997 11:42:56
>From: darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
>Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 08:33:27 -0400 (EDT)

[regarding ANSIfication:]
>Let those who care fix it at their own speed.  Like me when I sent in the
>changes to ftpd.  I wanted to clean up the code at the same time.  In fact
>I cleaned it up before making my changes because it was easier to work on
>that way.

Opinions differ on this.  It's a religious issue, and further
discussion merely burns bandwidth to no good purpose.

>Oh, just to add more fuel to the fire, I also have a problem with the
>use of (void) in front of every function call that discards it's return
>value.  Does anyone have a good arguemnt for keeping this?  It really
>bloats code for no reason IMO.

I find (void) to be a useful stylistic convention.  What

(void) syscall(...);

says to me is "yes, I know that this syscall can return an error but I
wish to plow on regardless."  It indicates that the author intended to
discard the return value, as opposed to simply being sloppy and
forgetting to check the value returned by the syscall.

Note that it only 'bloats' the source; object code is unaffected.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel