Subject: Re: Style guide
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1997 08:33:27
Thus spake Peter Seebach
> I was under the impression that there was some discussion, in the patch
> whose discussion started this, of writing new-style definitions, rather
> than old-style.  Unprotoize will obviously "correct" this, so I'm
> inclined to think it's a win, in terms of simplicity of compilation.

Yes.  Here is basically what I proposed changing;

  - Remove the use of the __P macro.
  - Change the function declarations to ANSI style
  - Use stdargs, not varargs and use standard vararg prototyping

> Both are trivially fixed with masses of preprocessor hacks.  Anyone wanna
> spend three months eliminating the ritually unclean pre-ANSI code hacks,
> and #defines, and see if it breaks anything?  I bet it would compile at
> least a little faster - especially if we can simplify some of the very
> commonly included files.

Let those who care fix it at their own speed.  Like me when I sent in the
changes to ftpd.  I wanted to clean up the code at the same time.  In fact
I cleaned it up before making my changes because it was easier to work on
that way.

Oh, just to add more fuel to the fire, I also have a problem with the
use of (void) in front of every function call that discards it's return
value.  Does anyone have a good arguemnt for keeping this?  It really
bloats code for no reason IMO.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain                           |  Democracy is three wolves
darcy@{druid.net|vex.net}                  |  and a sheep voting on