Subject: Re: Style guide
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/1997 20:58:16
On 28 May 1997, Johan Danielsson wrote:

> Ok, if we leave the `I like X better than Y' discussion. I make the
> following (perhaps bold) statement: code written in `ANSI' C generally
> has higher quality than code written in K&R C.

I don't follow this at all.  Practically all NetBSD code is prototyped
properly, using the __P() macro, and there's been a concerted effort to
make it compile without even so much as a warning (with more warnings
enabled than simply -Wall!).  High-quality code is a key goal of the
project.

> As stated before, I think that most of
> the code can not be built with a pre-ANSI C compiler.

This is simply untrue; it is currently being done.

Some gcc extensions are used (primarily in the kernel), but the changes
are largely to architecture-dependent headers that can be easily modified
to suit the build environment.

My last words on the subject, at least in this public forum:  From my
perspective, there are only religious reasons to change this, and some
very real, practical reasons to leave it alone.

--scott