Subject: Re: Style guide
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/1997 11:44:07
On Tue, 27 May 1997, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> Well, gcc is basically a separate product and it does go to pains to make
> sure it can be compiled on non-ANSI machines.  Once gcc has been ported
> (assuming it isn't already) then the rest can use it.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't really clear.

You're assuming that gcc has already been ported to the target platform,
and my point is/was that it's not always a valid assumption.  If not, or
if you're trying to port NetBSD to a platform that has had little or no
attention from the gcc/binutils developers, you are opening yourself to
the possibility of trouble that you wouldn't have with the vendor's
toolchain.

--scott